I love learning about other peoples experiences and things they learned through it. I will soon be 19 and I felt like I wanted to write down some of the things I learned during this year, being 18. I hope you enjoy this personal list and you can take something from it.
- It is good to trust yourself and to be stubborn sometimes. Others can only judge or advise you through their own experiences and fears. And sometimes their advise might not apply to your situation. Although they might have the best intentions. You can listen and take from it what you want. But you know what you know, and you can trust that. And if we’re honest, you already know what you have to do, even if it’s hidden deep inside you. You already know.
- You will figure out something you’ve been unsure about for a long time. Realizing you’re an empath makes a lot of things clearer. And although we don’t like to be categorized, it makes life a lot easier knowing this (I might write an post about this soon).
- When you don’t speak out what you feel or want, there’s nothing going to happen. Communication is still key, even if you feel like someone understands you completely. So even when it’s hard, try to be vulnerable and tell what’s on your mind and what you want/don’t want.
- You’re going to be afraid of your own feelings, but you’ve experienced it before. And I can tell you you’re going to get trough this. And eventually you will accept it and every aspect of yourself ❤️
- Learn to say no. This has been hard but we’re working on it. The thing is, people you love can easily cross your borders without you even realizing it. And then you will feel like it’s too late. But you will learn to feel it when it happens, your body will send you signals, and (if you don’t listen) demands you to say no.
- Also energy doesn’t lie. When you don’t feel comfortable, or something is off. Trust your gut. Because you’re so right. Also, everything happens for a reason. Even if you don’t see it yet. You know eventually things will fall in to place, and it will.
- Don’t feel like you have to be perfect all the time. I know you think you got the whole self love thing figured out. But honey, you don’t 🙂 You will get a new favorite quote: I’m not perfect and I don’t have to be. And you’re going to be so much happier.
- Stop listening to sad music all the time. I know some of these new songs are your jam, but it keeps you
in this downwards spiral, which isn’t good for you.
- You’re going to love yoga and it will help you a lot. Shout out to yoga with Adrien, my favorite yoga teacher ever. She teaches on YouTube if you want to check her out x
- It is easy to blame others, and you try hard not too. But even when you know it isn’t right, you will. Try to be honest with yourself, we’re all humans. We’re al unsure, scared and we sometimes have to get more information to figure things out. So think about what your share is in the situation, and acknowledge your mistakes. And get the information you are lacking. So ask questions, read books and articles and try to understand where the other person is coming from.
- Stop running away from your fears and problems. I know you’ve got the feeling you can’t handle it, because there are things going on you can’t control. But try to face the things you can change.
- Be grateful for the things that go well. It will keep you going and make you feeling happier. Even when there isn’t much to feel grateful for, try to look at the small things. Like the nice food you ate, the person on the street smiling at you, a lovely conversation you had with a friend etc.
- You’re going to meet people who will make you feel loved and wanted. And sometimes you will behave like an absolute idiot, and it will feel so good to just be weird and make some fun.
- You will have to say goodbye a few times. And it definitely doesn’t get easier. But you know what you have to do, and sometimes there is no other way.
- It is ok to be afraid of love in whatever shape or form. But as a human being it is normal to need it. So let people in, you deserve as much love as you give so easily to others. And yes you will get hurt. And yes people come and go. But that’s also normal and ok. Because you will meet people at the right time. And you will grow, and that sometimes also means saying goodbye and meeting new people. Who will love you better and show you other parts of life.
- You will learn how to listen to you heart, dreams and wishes. And instead of hiding from them, because they’re “impossible to manifest”, you try to chase them, finally. And although it is terrifying, you know you’re on the right path. And you know this is what you’re meant to do right now.
- You can’t make everyone happy, so stop trying to! You’re finally learning to not give a s*** and although it hurts to know you’re letting people down, it feels so good to live your life for yourself. And to not spend all of your time make others feel good about themselves. Sure, it is an important part of life and maintaining friendships, but you also have to take care of yourself.
- It is not as bad as it seems. We’ve dealt with a lot of bad stuff before but we’ve survived. And we’re still standing, trying, loving, creating, learning and discovering. And I can already tell you, that won’t change the upcoming year(s). And I’m so ok with that, because this is what life is all about. Yin & Yang, because without the darkness you won’t be able to experience the light. And learn the lessons you have to learn. And from now on it is going to get better. Getting out of my comfort zone, trying new things, an chasing my dreams.
Those where my 18 things I learned during this year being 18. It kind of turned out as a letter to myself, for the “me” at the beging of this year. I really enjoyed writing this! Let me know what you thought of it in the comments. I might make this kind of post again, next year if you like it!
My struggles and fun experiences probably won’t be exactly the same to yours. But there will likely be some similarities. I hope you liked my list, and could maybe even take something from it.
Until next time.
ps. these pictures came from my Insta account, do we already follow each other? Check out my account here.